Hospital Survival Guide walks you through making sense of the confusing hospital environment. Whether you are inpatient or outpatient, you will learn to speak the medical language, build a better understanding of medical procedures, and find ways to rest, relax, and recover. You will become your own best advocate, making sure you get the health care you want, the way you want it.
Use the information to guide your own care, or use it for a hospitalized family member or friend.
Best of all, it's completely free. All of it. Always. No hidden fees, no subscriptions, no in-app purchases no hidden pay walls. Just you, your app, and your learning.
Stay private: we won't ask you to sign up or log in to anything. Your health is your business. We respect that.
List of topics you will learn about:
• Self advocacy - stand up for yourself and your care
• Your rights
• Who is who (what's and MD vs a DO?)
• Learn to understand and speak the medical language
• How to keep clean and avoid a longer admission
• Common medication types and effects
• Normal vital sign and lab values
• How to rest, cope, relax, and sleep
• What to eat with a restricted diet or limited menu options
• Learn about procedures such as IVs, xrays, ultrasounds and more
• How to conduct your own research and find clinical trials
• How to manage family, visitors, and social media
• Legal planning - Living Will and medical power of attorney
• Bills and Insurance - what it all means, how to get discounts or help paying with or without insurance
• What to do during discharge to make sure you don't go back to the hospital
At the end of each section, you will have the chance to take a quiz and review what you learned. All of that, free.
Some sections such as Rights, Who's Who, and Bills & Insurance may only be applicable to health care in the United States. All other information can serve as an effective hospital guide anywhere in the world!
We want to hear from you about what other information we can include to make it easier for you to understand health care, the hospital, and how to heal and recover.
You can make it through your hospital stay, and we can help. Never feel powerless in your own care again. Be strong. Be well.
This version is supported by ads. An ad free version is available.